Thursday, April 11, 2013

Adrenaline and healing

I had been suffering from a digestive issue, being dragged all over this country under duress was a stress I could attribute it to. So, when I finally fled and ended up in a shelter, I believed I would have no more worries, less stress, less tension and thus my stomach would get better. I was wrong, it got much worse. Why would this happen? It was given me to understand it was everything catching up with me. It would not be until a year later that I got the scientific explaination. A nurse practitioner told me we basically survive off adrenaline. When things calm down, adrenaline levels go down and so do the effects of it running through our system. Like a drug it holds off symptoms, gives us energy beyond our endurence, and numbs us to our pain. When it goes, so do it's affects: we begin to feel everything we've had surpressed. I cannot help but imagine what people in general go through when they get a quiet moment, why they do anything to distract themselves, keep the adrenaline going. We have been raised ot be adrenaline junkies. Exciting, entertaining television for children begins their learning, video games and movies take over from there. Gossip and drama in the school days, co-workers and families in adulthood to add to the stimulation. They feel great until it catches up with them and they are diagnosed with something deadly which could have been changed in it's earliest stages if it's symptoms were not masked by adrenaline.
    And so I also realize why people would give up easily on the idea of retraining their brain. The moment they slow down enough to listen to themselves, the pain begins manifesting. Not many perceive a cause worthy of pushing past such pain to benefit themselves in the long run. "What is worth living for anyways?", they might think. The health of the brain determines the health of the body, the health of the brain determined by our thinking, which is heavily influenced by our emotions. Happy IS healthy, but it has to be true happiness, not surface imitation of it we feel for a moment when distracted by something we think we like or imagine.
    Healing hurts. Whether it is the pain we initially feel when struggling to pull a sliver, the pain of piercing a boil, or even the simple itch of healing skin. Healing will be uncomfortable. For me, the pain and discomfort are worth it. But I understand, honor and respect why not everyone would choose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment