Saturday, April 20, 2013

A judge I can respect and a public thank you

This morning I have been given to reflect on what we do have going for us in what I face ahead of me.
      As I sat and listened in the Skowhegan courtroom to the case that went before me, I was truly impressed by the judge. Rather than arrogantly presiding over the courtroom and then cooly dismissing the case before him because there wasn't enough evidence, he read the law more than once out loud. He admitted the wording of the law was new to him, new in Maine, and he was exploring how it could be applied to the case of the man before him. He compassionately explained why he believed the law could not be applied to the man's case. He asked the man questions, phrased in a variety of ways to try to draw out of the man an answser that would allow him to apply the law in this man's case. Unfortunately, the man did not have the words to do this. The man was clearly terrified of having his drug addicted son in his home. You could see his sense of powerlessness, the same powerlessness so common in many parents today, a powerlessness I myself have felt against the angry onslought of a teen. But you could see he was a strong man who had swallowed alot of pride to even bring this before a court, to admit his son intimidated him. He just didn't have the words.
     I had the words because I had the guidence and counseling while in a different state. Because of that education, I also had the empowerment to speak the words clearly, giving the judge what he needed before my case was even called before him, so that when my case was called there was no hesitation or struggle. The requested order was granted. I was given even more protection than I had asked for.
     Ten years ago I did not have the words and Maine did not have the laws worded to protect me or my children. These things are only now just in place. When I say that the domestic violence scene is behind the rest of the nation, it is not to make anyone feel bad, condemn them, or belitle them. It is not to prop myself up as smarter or better than anyone else. I am no smarter, I have only been blessed with the inner drive to leave this state and seek out what was needed to empower myself to change things for my children. Then God drove me back here, bringing with me what I had gained. I am humbled by what it must have taken for those who did supply the words for the new laws to get them on the books. They are foreign words here. They are foreign concepts as they redefine behaviors accepted as normal for generations. Change is not easy for anyone and is usually met with great resistence, anger and resentment. The men and women who have fought to bring these concepts and words into greater awareness here in Maine have my grattitude and respect. I know what I met with when I brought them to my family ten years ago. The resistence, anger and resentment was strong enough to drive me away and keep me away. I could not imagine taking this before an entire state.
    So, no, I don't believe all laws are bad. Nor do I believe everyone who works in government is evil. There may be laws to vote yes on. It's just too bad we need to.
    This is a public thank you to judges such as the one in Skowhegan and all those bringing the words and laws to Maine that give us what we need to make us better able to give to our children what they need to be safe, healthy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment